Date: 21 November 2011
Venue: MR301, Level 3, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre
Choosing the right business model for a particular product is essential and in the current business environment IP plays a crucial role in supporting and securing the applicability of this business model. Many businesses make the mistake of overlooking the importance of developing IP to protect their innovation before introducing it to the market. The most effective IP Strategy for a given product solution starts in the very early stages of its development, influences the design of the chosen business model and the product development path, and evolves as the product moves from concept to completion and out into local and international markets.
Why stop at just creating or acquiring the IP when you can leverage its full potential and realize its maximum value? What are the IP pitfalls to avoid in a highly competitive environment today that can prevent an otherwise sound business from reaching its goals? How do you develop a superior IP Strategy? All these questions will be answered in the IP Strategy Workshop on November 21 from 8:30 am to 4:30pm offered by BioMalaysia in collaboration with Think IP Strategy. Get involved in the roundtable discussions, interactive case studies, and talks by the international IP experts.
- To develop a more complete understanding of how to use IP strategically.
- To explore the risks and opportunities specific to IP assets and how these can be best developed and managed for optimal results.
- To give participants a practical set of tools and thinking exercises to use for in-house strategy development and decision-making.
CEO, IP Strategist, Lawyer & Patent Attorney
Duncan is an IP Strategist, lawyer, patent attorney and a veterinarian. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Patent & Trade Marks Attorneys and a Principal Fellow at the Melbourne Business School where…
IP Strategist and Patent Attorney
With over 25 years of experience, Lee is a well recognized expert in intellectual property strategy, particularly in the life sciences arena. His work has spanned all aspects of intellectual property strategy relevant in this field, including patent procurement,…
IP Strategy Workshop Agenda
- 8.30 – 8.50 am – WELCOME AND OPENING REMARKS
- 8.50 – 10.30 am – SESSION 1: 12 Ways to Improve your IP Strategy – Presentation of the fundamental tenets for developing a superior IP Strategy followed by roundtable discussion. (Lead: Duncan Bucknell)
- 10.30 – 10.50 am – BREAK
- 10.50 – 12.30 pm – SESSION 2: Avoiding IP pitfalls and reaching business goals in a highly competitive environment – Interactive case study in the life-sciences field. The audience will be presented with a business plan and IP strategy, and challenged with a series of unexpected events and injudicious actions that could derail the plan and strategy. (Lead: Lee Caffin)
- 12.30 – 1.45 pm – LUNCH
- 1.45 – 2.45 pm - SESSION 3: Risk Management – Using IP and Managing IP threats – Presentation exploring the use of IP to mitigate risks to the business, and how to mitigate risks that IP may introduce to the business or that may exist to the IP itself. (Lead: Duncan Bucknell)
- 2.45 – 3.00 pm – BREAK
- 3.00 – 4.15 pm – SESSION 4: Realizing IP Value – Controlling what you can Control – Presentation on intellectual asset management and best internal practices for maximizing IP value in an innovative company. (Lead: Lee Caffin)
- 4.15 – 4.30 pm – CLOSING REMARKS