Date: 25 & 26 Sept 2012
Venue: Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur
Discover the Knowledge, Connections and Resources You Need to Fight Fraud, All at One Event
Expand your skills and advance your career at this conference which attracted over 50 anti-fraud professionals in Singapore last August . This is an unparalleled opportunity to attend educational sessions and network with other industry professionals at Malaysia’s largest anti-fraud event.
Explore current challenges in the fight against fraud and return home with valuable skills based upon proven techniques. Topics include fraud investigation, prevention and deterrence, ethics and compliance, legal elements, fraud auditing, risk management and more.
Don’t miss the largest gathering of anti-fraud professionals in Malaysia at this event.
The programme will feature speakers from government entities and the private industry with a wide variety of expertise in international fraud prevention, deterrence and detection. These experienced practitioners will lead you through interactive sessions while sharing real-world examples and strategies that can immediately take your fraud investigations to the next level.
Who should attend
Officers, Managers and directors from:
- Internal Audit
- Finance Department
- Global Investigation and security
- Compliance and training
- Government investigation
- Internal investigation
- Transactional services
- Forensic Services
PREVIOUS DELEGATE TESTIMONIALS
- “I have gleaned a lot of useful information and resources that will positively contribute to the suite of tools in place and developing our fraud and corruption prevention.” ~ Assistant Director, Internal Audit, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA)
- “Excellent summary of new changes, in simple terms that we can use in practice tomorrow.” ~ Manager, Corporate Services, National University of Singapore (NUS)
- “Keen insights, relevant examples and informative case studies.” ~ Director, Internal Audit, Monetary Authority OF Singapore (MAS)
Your Speakers Include:
Director, Forensic Services, Deloitte & Touché Financial Advisory Services Pte Ltd, Singapore & Southeast Asia
Kobus leads the Financial Crime team in the Deloitte Forensic practice in Singapore and Southeast Asia. He brings with him a rich mix of experience and expertise in the fields of investigation, fraud and corruption risk management, project management and business management. He has worked in law enforcement and the private forensic industry for more than 20 years.
His law enforcement experience includes having served as a Senior Special Investigator in the Directorate of Special Operations, an investigative agency established in the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa to deal with serious economic and organized crime, and as a senior officer in the Commercial Branch of the South African Police Service.
He has performed and managed numerous forensic assignments of diverse natures in many countries, primarily in Africa and Asia, and across industries. This includes numerous investigations relating to fraud, corruption and other commercial crime. He has provided a wide range of fraud and corruption risk management services to clients in both the public sector and private sector in various African and Asian countries.
This includes procurement integrity consulting, comprising a combination of proactive and reactive strategies to reduce cost, increase efficiency and mitigate risk in procurement. He has also developed and facilitated training on a wide range of investigation, corruption prevention, money laundering and whistleblowing to diverse audiences, including trading entities, government departments and regulators across Asia.
Skills and expertise
- Complex financial and other fraud and corruption-related investigations
- Specialist interviewing of suspects and witnesses
- Training in investigation and fraud risk management
- Anti-fraud consulting services, including fraud risk management, fraud prevention, fraud awareness training, research, thought leadership and eminence building
- Anti-corruption consulting services, including corruption compliance reviews (FCPA, local corruption legislation, new UK Bribery Act), corruption prevention, corruption awareness training, research, thought leadership and eminence building
- Procurement Integrity consulting, comprising a combination of proactive and reactive strategies to reduce cost, increase efficiency and mitigate risk in procurement.
Recent relevant experience
- Managed a forensic investigation into suspected conflicts of interest and corruption in Singapore and Malaysia on behalf of a multi-national oil rig equipment services provider
- Participated in a forensic accounting review of procurement transactions of the Singapore National Sports Association, following allegations of corruption
- Performed research on conflicts of interest policies and procedures on behalf of a Singaporean tertiary education institution.
- Led an investigation into the irregular manipulation of student results, procurement fraud, and corruption on behalf of government regulators on a regional institute of higher learning.
- Participated in corruption investigations against employees of a multi-national airline
- Led the investigation of allegations of fraud and corruption against a senior official of an academic university and subsequently testifying in the disciplinary hearing
- Managed a forensic investigation into allegations of conflicts of interest and corruption against senior management members of a Singapore listed entity
- Managed a fraud and corruption risk review in Vietnam on behalf of a multi-national food and beverage manufacturer
- Performed a review of high level internal investigation performed by the internal investigation function of a multi-lateral finance institution
- Developed a training programme on banking fraud for internal audit staff of a multi-national banking group
Professional and academic qualifications
- University of South Africa – Bachelor of Laws
- University of South Africa – Bachelor of Commerce
- University of South Africa – National Diploma: Police Management
- Detective Course, South African Police Service
- Advanced Fraud Investigators Course, South African Police Service
- Commercial Crime Course, South African Police Service
- Interviewing and Interrogation Course, South African Police Service.
Director, Forensic and Dispute services, Deloitte Malaysia
David first joined Deloitte Forensic in 2004 in Melbourne, Australia. In 2009 he transferred to Deloitte Malaysia where he is now Director, Forensic Services. Prior to joining Deloitte in 2004, David completed 23 years of service with the Victoria Police, Australia, with a majority of that time dedicated to the investigation of fraud related crime.
David is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. He is also a member of the Australian Institute of Professional Investigators (AIPI), the American Society of Industrial Security (ASIS International), the Malaysia Australia Business Council (MABC) and the American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM).
Skills and expertise
Since joining Deloitte, David has obtained extensive experience in leading a wide range of projects.
These projects include fraud and corruption investigations, fraud and corruption risk mitigation reviews, including the implementation of whistleblowing systems, fraud and corruption risk assessments and framework reviews, implementation of fraud and physical security risk strategy, code of conduct reviews, Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) due diligence projects and reviews of the investigation functions within government agencies.
David has had a number of articles published in local media publications on subjects ranging from whistleblowing to corruption, fraud risk and procurement integrity. He regularly presents to a wide range of audiences on these and other subjects.
Professional and academic qualifications
- Fellow membership of CPA Australia (FCPA)
- Graduate Certificate Fraud Investigation (Latrobe University)
- Diploma of Security Management (RMIT University)